In the last decade, computer use among children and adolescents has become common (aged 10-17) spent at the computer for about an hour and a half per day. Significant percentage of children (over 10%), spend at the computer more than 16 hours a week.
Many parents are concerned about the continued use computer screens and one question is whether sitting before a computer screen affects the visual system?
Many doctors and optometrists believe that excessive computer use among children puts them at risk for early development of myopia. A large study conducted by the National Institutes of Health in the United States Eye states that the prevalence of myopia (nearsightedness) among Americans has grown by more than 66 percent. In the last 30 years.
Added to the computer as innovative technological means tablets and mobile phones have made our world more closely. These devices require the use of fine motor running: accurate eye movements, convergence and focus-developed applications are not enough young eyes. Only when the visual system matures it develops a better ability to cope with the demands that the computer sets. Prolonged visual effort in some cases can cause computer vision syndrome accompanied by blurred vision, double vision, eye pain Wow head, redness or Burning. You can view young prospect that in this syndrome develop even greater than in adults. Another interesting fact that had been reviled: Sitting 11 or more hours in front of the computer, could delay, shorten or stop menstrual period of women. Yes, you hear it right. It can also help fight and cure health issues: Get rid of tonsil stones, get rid of hemorrhoids or heart issues.
In order to maintain healthy eyes of your child you should parents pay attention to the following issues when your child uses the computer:
• Children are very adaptable. They usually assume that normal vision even though there is a problem. Therefore it is important to coordinate with routine eye exams optometrist or ophthalmologist.
• Children are not aware of how long they spend on the computer. They can perform a task on the computer for hours with few breaks. Such prolonged activity causes a strain in vision and may lead to further focusing problems and shortness Vision .You should limit the amount of time your child spends on the computer without a break. Encourage children to take breaks from the computer 20 seconds every 20 minutes.
• Most computer workstations are enabled for adults, children smaller dimensions than adults. While older computer users on the computer screen look slightly downward at an angle of 15 degrees. The child will look at the bottom corner of the screen bigger making it difficult to focus the eyes and may cause dryness. Make sure the computer is adapted to position your child’s body size:
On the top of the computer screen shall be at the child’s eyes and the distance of 18-28 cm is recommended.
- Elbow height table height at 90 degrees.
- Adjust the height of the chair so the legs reach the floor comfortably.
- Teach your child computer skills, how to use keyboard shortcuts to minimize the use of the mouse.
- Always adjust the room lighting conditions of the room so that the light will not be reflected on the screen.